Prop 8. Ruling to Come Wednesday
The court did not make a ruling on Proposition 8, California's ban on same-sex marriage, but indicated that decision will likely be handed down tomorrow, along with the Defense of Marriage Act, which bans gay and lesbian married couples from getting federal benefits just as heterosexual spouses.
Come tomorrow, the justices could do one of the following:
- Uphold Prop. 8 as it now exists, which means gay marriage would be banned in California
- Overturn Prop. 8, but make the ruling only apply to California
- Overturn Prop. 8 and make the ruling national (unlikely)
- Overturn Prop 8, but have it apply to eight states where civil unions, not gay marriage, are now legal. (Obama's choice).
- Or they could decide that Prop. 8 backers have no legal standing: This would mean that either Prop. 8 is overturned or it would kick the case back to a lower court to decide what happens next.
Check back tomorrow morning.