Gregory Graniss, Man Accused of Smashing Muni Bus, Says He's Really Sorry

muni arrest-thumb-300x239.jpg
Photo by Susana Bates via the Chronicle
Now look who is busted
Gregory Graniss, 22, appeared in court yesterday where he reportedly showed a great deal of remorse for trashing a Muni bus during the World Series celebration last week.

Still, the Novato high school basketball star pleaded not guilty to two counts of felony charges, including vandalism and tampering with a passenger transit vehicle. Graniss reportedly stood outside the courtroom holding his mother's hand, with his lip trembling, as his attorney spoke on his behalf.

See also: World Series: Bus Torched by Revelers Is "Totaled"

"The San Francisco Giants' victory was amazing, and it really brought out the best in San Francisco and, unfortunately, the worst in Gregory," his attorney, Doug Rappaport, was quoted saying in the Chronicle. "He is very ashamed of his actions and very, very sorry. And now he's going to set an example by making amends, and he only hopes that San Franciscans will find it in their hearts to forgive him."

Graniss was arrested on Oct. 30 after photos of him smashing a 8X-Bayshore express bus during the World Series celebration on Oct. 29 were printed in newspapers and circulated online. A freelance photographer snapped the picture of Graniss, which quickly went viral on Facebook as well as other social media sites. A campaign was started to track down the guy who was seen foolishly tearing up the Muni coach.

Later that night, the same bus was torched, totaling the $700,000 vehicle. Police released photos of the suspects and are still looking for the people responsible for setting the bus on fire.

"The Giants winning the World Series is cause for celebration not destruction." said District Attorney George Gascón. "The behavior of Gregory Graniss and others does not reflect on the character of this city." "We are asking for the public's help and cooperation in tracking down the other perpetrators involved in the vandalism and arson of the Muni bus that evening."

If you know anything about the Muni vandalism from that evening, or have videos, photos, etc, please call Inspector Jeff Levin of the SFPD at 920-2944.

Graniss is scheduled to return to court Dec. 17.

My Voice Nation Help
Sort: Newest | Oldest

@SFWeekly I hope they send his ass to jail, charge him a fine & make him do community service here in SF not in his hometown.

Now Trending

From the Vault


©2014 SF Weekly, LP, All rights reserved.