Football Stabbing, Dramatic Shooting Kept Cops Busy Yesterday

Categories: Crime
Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image
And lot's of it!
It was an active weekend for San Francisco cops and criminals.

Police made a few significant arrests, starting with a stabbing near Candlestick Park where the 49ers were playing the New York Giants on Sunday. According to police. the incident started at about 1:35 p.m. when two men approached a 27-year-old man who was hanging with his five friends on Harney Way.

The two men allegedly started a "verbal altercation," which escalated into a more violent scene. One of the suspects pulled out a knife and stabbed the victim in the chest, said Sgt. Michael Andraychak.

The victim was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with life-threatening injuries; however, he was upgraded Sunday and is expected to survive.
KTVU reports that the argument started when the suspects began taunting the victim about sports teams. The victim was wearing a Dallas Cowboys T-shirt, Suzy Barrera, a friend of the victim, told the news station.  "It was just trash-talking about sports," Barrera said. "The men thought it would be fun to antagonize my friend."

Police caught up with the two suspects a few minutes after the stabbing and arrested both; one was described as a 22-year-old Daly City resident and the other was only described as a 30-year-old San Francisco man, police said.

Any witnesses are asked to call investigators at Bayview station at 671-2300, the Anonymous Tip Line at 575-4444, or text a tip to TIP411 and begin the text with SFPD.

Earlier that morning, police were busy dealing with a shooting in the Western Addition, which turned into a four-hour standoff with the cops.

The incident started at 6:55 a.m. when someone reported shots fired on the 1300 block of Eddy Street. When the cops arrived, they reportedly spotted bullet casings on the ground and drops of blood on the ground. Witnesses told police that the suspected gunman had gone into a nearby house, according to police

Cops surrounded the house, ordering everyone out; about 11 a.m., several people, including at least four children, reportedly left the building. Police arrested one of the occupants -- a 28-year-old Vallejo resident -- on a no-bail warrant.

Police have not yet released the names of those arrested, but we'll update you when we find out more.

My Voice Nation Help
Sort: Newest | Oldest

Now Trending

From the Vault


©2014 SF Weekly, LP, All rights reserved.