Man Wanted in Mission District Sexual Assaults
|If this helps at all|
Both sexual assaults occurred on 24th Street sometime between 3 a.m. and 6:30 a.m., police said. The first case was in late November when a woman was walking on 24th Street and was attacked from behind. The man dragged her to another location near 24th and South Van Ness where she was strangled, punched, and slapped before she was sexually assaulted.
Police believe it was the same man who attacked another woman yesterday morning as she walked along 24th Street. The woman said she was grabbed from behind and sexually assaulted.
In both cases, the suspect was described as a black man in his mid-30s, between 5-foot-9 and 6 feet tall, with a medium build. He was last seen wearing a black hoodie and dark pants.
Witnesses or anyone with information should call the anonymous tip line at 575-4444, or "Text-a-Tip" from their cell phones to TIP411. Please include "SFPD' in the beginning of the text message.
Meanwhile, police are warning residents and tourists to follow these safety tips when walking in the Mission:
- Always be alert of your surroundings.
- Be wary of a stranger deliberately approaching you or following you to your car. Have your keys in your hand as you approach your vehicle so there is minimum delay in getting inside.
- Remain alert when using electronic devices, such as cell phones, smart phones, mp3 players, etc. in public. People using these devices tend to be disassociated from their surroundings and are often the target of opportunistic criminals.
- Walk with a family member or friend, especially after dark.
- If someone demands your purse or wallet, surrender it. Resisting may result in bodily harm. Report anything stolen to police immediately.
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF and @SFWeekly