49ers and Raiders Cancel Annual Preseason Game After Weekend Violence
|Well, that sucks|
According to media outlets, Raiders CEO Amy Trask and 49ers president Jed York have already said there is no way the two teams will play next year -- and they both support eliminating the annual preseason football match for good.
If this is true, the source told media outlets, that it won't be announced, but rather fans will just see the preseason games eliminated from the football schedule.
Saturday's rival game left two men critically injured, one who had been shot several times in the stomach and another man who was severely beaten in the men's restroom. A third man was also shot, but was not badly injured.
Police -- who have identified a person of interest in only one of the shootings -- have said they do not know the motivation behind the attacks; some videos circulated on the Internet have shown 49ers fans attacking each other. But sources close to the investigation told reporters that the violence might have been sparked by rival gang members, Nortenos and Surenos.
Officer Albie Esparza told SF Weekly that there is not any evidence at this time that the attacks were indeed gang related.
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF and @SFWeekly