Mehserle Mea Culpa: Ex-BART Cop's Letter Offers Apology For Shooting Oscar Grant
|'I hope the day will come when anger will give way to a dialogue...'|
The letter, dated July 4, was written prior to the jury's decision -- which could carry a jail sentence of as long as 14 years for Mehserle. Some eye-opening excerpts:
- "I don't know what the jury in this case is going to decide, but I hope those who hate me and those who understand that I never intended to shoot Oscar Grant will listen to this message."
- "I have and will continue to live everyday (sic) of my life knowing that Mr. Grant should not have been shot."
- "I hoped to talk to Ms. Johnson (Grant's mother) and Ms. Mesa (Grant's partner and mother of his child) in the days following this terrible event, but death threats toward my newly-born son, my friends and family resulted in no communication occurring."
- "For now, and forever I will live, breathe, sleep and not sleep with the memory of Mr. Grant screaming "you shot me" and me putting my hands on the bullet wound thinking the pressure would help while I kept telling him "you'll be okay."
- "I tried to tell myself that maybe this shot would not be so serious, but I recall how sick I felt when Mr. Grant stopped talking, closed his eyes and seemed to change his breathing."
One word Mehserle didn't mention in this two-page missive: Taser.
You can read the whole thing here: mehserle+statement.pdf
H/T | Inside Bay Area
Follow us on Twitter at @TheSnitchSF and @SFWeekly