Meow, Wow: San Francisco Named a Top-10 Place to Own a Cat
|Locals are overjoyed at San Francisco being named one of the nation's cat-friendliest cities|
1. "That's great! I knew there was a reason I'm paying so much rent," and;
2. "Who's putting this list out?"
So when our city was named one of the 10 Cat-Friendliest late last week -- well, super! As far as explaining who the hell the CATalyst Council is to make such a designation, that's a whole other ball of yarn.
According to the nonprofit's Web page, it's comprised of folks representing "Veterinary Medicine, Shelter/Animal Welfare, and related Industry entities such as Foundations and Cat Fanciers, the Media, and commercial companies." It trumps the "virtue of the open and inclusive structure of [its] board" -- but doesn't include any names.
Fair enough. A group of unnamed people connected to the cat "industry" say San Francisco is great. Again, super. But what, exactly, does it take to crack this Top-10 list? Thankfully they're far more open about that.
Cities were judged on 13 criteria (wouldn't nine have been more apropos?) including:
- Number of cats;
- Number of cats microchipped;
- Number of certified vets and animal behaviorists in the city;
- Number of subscribers to Cat Fancy (hmmmmm);
- Does the mayor own a cat? (no, but he married a movie star)
- City ordinances mention cats.
And, while we're on the subject, read about our adventures trapping feral cats for the SPCA here.