Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall and Other S.F. Bands Plan Tribute to The Velvet Underground and Nico
Those of you with good memories will recall that back in 2010, a number of local artists like Mark Matos and the Blank Tapes released a very diverse and unusual whole-album cover of The Velvet Underground and Nico, and then performed it all live at what was then Coda Jazz Supper Club. Well, guess what: later this year, another dirtier and likely louder set of San Francisco artists -- including Thee Oh Sees, Ty Segall, The Fresh & Onlys, and Kelley Stoltz -- will release their own tribute to the Velvet Underground's seminal debut.
Entitled The Velvet Underground & Nico by Castle Face And Friends, the new album will mark the 45th anniversary of the '60s psych pioneers' debut. Releasing it is Castle Face Records, the label run in part by John Dwyer, frontman of garage-psych mavens Thee Oh Sees and well-known man-on-the-local-independent-rock scene. So naturally we'll get Dwyer and Co. tackling "European Son," Ty Segall playing "Femme Fatale," and The Fresh & Onlys on "All Tomorrow's Parties," among other sure-to-be-treats.
Here's the full tracklist, via Consequence of Sound:
1. Sunday Morning - Kelly Stoltz
2. I'm Waiting For The Man - Warm Soda
3. Femme Fatale - Ty Segall
4. Venus In Furs - Blasted Canyons feat. Jeremy Cox (of Royal Baths)
5. Run Run Run - White Fence
6. All Tomorrow's Parties - The Fresh & Onlys
1. Heroin - Burnt Ones
2. There She Goes Again - The Mallard
3. I'll Be Your Mirror - Here Comes The Here Comes
4. The Black Angel's Death Song - K. Dylan + The Black Angel's Death Songsmen
5. European Son - Thee Oh Sees
The album will see physical release on vinyl only come Nov. 6, but songs from it will be available for download on various sites between Oct. 15 and 29, according to CoS.