This probably isn't exactly what Neil Young had in mind with "repowering the American dream": it turns out one of Young's pet projects, the 1959 Lincoln Continental he's turning into an electric car
, started that fire in his Peninsula warehouse last week
The white landshark Continental somehow caught fire early in the morning of Nov. 9, starting a blaze that burned roughly $850,000 worth of the singer's guitars, art, and other memorabilia. It also took a hefty toll on the old 10,000-square-foot warehouse all that stuff was kept in.
Young's electric car is (was?) a big deal. It allowed Young to cruise around in Boomer fashion while touting his environmentalist credentials. It also had its own website
In a statement
, Young said the fire may be traced to "an operator error that occurred in an untested part of the charging system ... We are investigating the components involved with plug-in charging."