With 17,000 flights canceled because of the volcanic ash clouds that traveled from Iceland over much of Europe, UK acts are having a very difficult time making their shows here in the States. It's still unclear when air travel will be able to resume, and in the meantime, more shows have been canceled here in California.
The last thing I expected this morning when I woke up was to hear that volcanic ash might be preventing us from flying to America. At the moment the very best British Airways are offering us, and this without any guarantee, is to put us on a Sunday flight that gets in to Los Angeles in the afternoon on Sunday. That is one step away from useless and means that, if we are very lucky, we might just make it to the [Coachella] festival site (a three hour plus drive from Los Angeles) in time for our slot but without a single second of rehearsal with Robin Finck, the American based guitar player for the US shows, who has never played with us before, and no real chance of collecting and checking the equipment that we have hired for those shows, which includes all the keyboards, guitars, drums etc etc.
We are still waiting to find out if British Airways can offer any better alternatives. Very upsetting though to see such a huge opportunity slipping through your fingers. I am glued to the TV news at the moment.
There's no word here about Numan's San Francisco show, which is booked for April 20 at the Fillmore. With 17,000 flights being blocked, you can only imagine how many frustrated passengers are all trying to reschedule their trips, though. If you have tickets to see Numan--or any artist who resides in the UK, check the band site before you go to the show. They may still be grounded back home under ashy skies.