10 Known (and Little-Known) Facts About Paul Oakenfold (And Free Tix!)
|Viva La Oakey: Paul Oakenfold|
9. While living in New York, he was influenced by house music pioneer Larry Levan at the Paradise Garage.
8. In the '80s, he served as A&R for the UK's Champion records, where he signed Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince and Salt-n-Pepa.
7. In 1985, he went to Ibiza and brought the "balearic trance" sound back to England.
6. In the late '80s, he was a pioneer of the druggy, uptempo "acid house" sound.
5. In the early '90s, he remixed Massive Attack's breakthrough single "Safe From Harm."
4. In 1995, he became the first DJ to play the main stage at the Glastonbury Festival.
3. In 2002, he released his first official studio album, Bunkka, which sold over 1 million copies and featured Perry Farrell, Tricky, Hunter S. Thompson, and Nusrat Fateh Alj Khan.
2. In 2006, he was the opening act for Madonna's world tour.
1. Besides producing every electronic dance music record ever made, Oakenfold can rub his head and his belly at the same time.
Psst... wanna see Oakenfold for free? RSVP here for guest list action for Oakey's show Monday at Ruby Skye.