10 Things Under $10 to Do Tonight
|The Jack Curtis Dubowsky Ensemble|
1) Live soundtracks to experimental films (ATA, $6)
The Jack Curtis Dubowsky Ensemble combines classical and electronic music to compose soundtracks for movies by Jean Genet, Derek Jarman, Phil Maxwell, Hazuan Hashim, and Ben Coopersmith.
2) Breaks 'n' Afro-Beat (Make-Out Room, $5)
DJ Tom Thump hosts "Loose Joints," a night of hip-hop, breaks, Afro-Beat, and Latin music.
3) Oldies night (The Knockout, $2 before 10 p.m., $4 after)
Make grandpa's jams cool again with DJs Primo, Daniel, and Lost Cat.
4) Hip-hop block party in the Haight (Milk, $5 before 11 p.m., $10 after, free if you RSVP through Facebook or Going.com)
DJ Sake One, Sean G, Klean Kut, and Fran Boogie host this monthly "positive vibes" hip-hop party.
5) Making an artsy racket at New Langton Arts (New Langton Arts, $5)
Bring any conventional household object (except beaters) to join the impromptu ensemble of noisemakers, then watch a screening of Cage/Cunningham, a film about experimental composers John Cage and Merce Cunningham.
6) Warhol Live happy hour at the de Young (de Young, free for members, $10 if you're not a member)
DJs, drinks, and pop art aficionados.
7) Heavy metal and rock 'n' roll (The Riptide, free)
Rock tunes from DJ JoAnn's "Hot Rockin Friday Nights"
8) Funk 'n' R 'n' B (Amnesia, $5)
DJs Hopper and KLN spin old school hip-hop, funk, and R&B.
9) Soul/garage/psych rock (House of Shields, $4)
Kaleidoscope DJs Carlos, Dr Scott, Major Sean get garagey.
10) Burning down the house (music) (Club Six, $5)
DJ Jaz, Oscar Miranda, Marcus Jerard, Joey Petersen, Chris Wesley, and Kevin spin for The Jump Off