Week In Vegan: Bacon, Shoes, and Sloths
- Happy World Vegan Month! If you don't know how to celebrate (I will be learning to like Quinoa), Global Animal has some ideas for you. Top tip: Try vegan ice cream. Don't quit until you've tried it all.
- New publication alert: Vegan Food magazine just launched its first issue which is chock-full of recipes, interviews, and pictures of food (never enough). Best of all, the magazine is 100 percent free, which is a nice compliment to being 100 percent awesome.
- It's Bacon Week over at Lorimer Street Kitchen. While the blog is fairly new, no site that promises a full week of delicious vegan bacon recipes can't be ignored. First up: Vegan baos -- filled buns -- stuffed with vegetables and vegan bacon.
- PETA wants to remind everyone that lobsters deserve consideration. After releasing a video of their undercover investigation into a lobster slaughterhouse -- Google at your own peril -- PETA has filed a criminal complaint against Linda Bean's Maine Lobster, accusing the company of cruelty to animals.
- Want to create the next vegan shoe? Beyond Skin and PETA are joining forces to launch a vegan shoe design competition. Submissions are due by Dec. 13. One disappointment: There isn't going to be a reality show tied into this. Vegan Project Runway shoe competition? Yes, please.
- Coach is selling rabbit fur coats. Lame. Rabbit fur belongs on rabbits and then also on everything in my living room because my rabbit sheds like nobody's business. With the amount of shedding Ms. Cleo does on a daily basis I should have enough fur for at least two cruelty-free coats.
- The Gentle Barn is sponsoring A Gentle Thanksgiving. Drive down to Santa Clarita on the 28th for dinner, drums, and a bonfire. There will also be time to feed pie to turkeys. That's actually the most important part. Feeding turkeys pie. New Facebook profile picture? Check.
- Just another reason to avoid Sea World: The sad, sad story of Tikkum, the largest whale in captivity.
- Move over Meerkat Manor: sloths are here for their 15 minutes. Get your Valium ready and start watching Meet The Sloths as quickly as you can.