Talking Sausages, Killer Salami, and Vegan Perogies in Oakland
- Happy Meatless Monday! How about a nice sugary side of sugar to go with your vegan Shamrock Shake? Get thee to Timeless Coffee and you can have vegan Easter chocolate cream eggs! I have some myself:
- One of my favorite meatless groups, Mercy For Animals, released a new commercial that will be shown on MTV and HULU and whatnot -- i.e. big time! How do you like it?
- Vegan pub Olde Depot Public House is officially open in Oakland! Read the review on Vegansaurus (another site for which I write). Spoiler: VEGAN SAUSAGES AND PEROGIES! And more importantly: BEER.
- A shark on the threatened species list died during the filming of a stupid Kmart commercial. For serious.
- In better shark news, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species voted to protect five species of shark against the evil shark fin trade. For serious! But it seems like you can still trade their fins, you just need a special permit. Isn't that special.
- In OMG news, Tal Ronnen is launching a line of nut-based vegan cheeses! So far I have to say, the commercial nut cheeses are way better than the soy-based. So I am stoked, to say the least.
- Business Insider did a nice little profile on Babycakes owner Erin McKenna. As you may have heard, she's planning on opening a BabyCakes in SF! So gluten-free vegans should be stoked. And anyone who likes biscuits and jam -- they make a good biscuit.
- NPR reported on a new study that found -- surprise! -- processed meat is bad for you: "They found that people who ate a lot of processed meats -- more than 20 grams a day, the equivalent of one thin strip of bacon -- were much more likely to die of heart attacks and stroke, and also had a higher cancer risk. The more processed meats they ate, the greater the risk."
- The Bakersfield Californian totally dissed California's BS ag-gag bill, saying instead "The cattle industry ought to drop this and similar bills, redouble its efforts to provide beef to consumers in a humane and safe manner, and then hire a good marketing firm to focus on those high standards." And how!
- Finally, my friends, I will leave you with this: is Ricki Lake coming to the vegan side? Moreover, was Serial Mom her best movie?!
See also: Scream Sorbet Closes, the Vegan Black Metal Chef is Back, and Vegans Are Still Better for the Environment
Chocolate Salami, Dairy Pushes Aspartame, and Justin Timberlake Brings it on Down to Veganville
Bi-Rite Opens Second Location, Divisadero Will Never Be the Same
Follow @MeganRascal on Twitter!