New Veg Venue Coming to Oakland, Ditch Meat to Save Water, and Happy Pot de Crème Day!
- Happy holiday, everyone! That's right, once again it is National Pot de Crème Day. So for today's Meatless Monday, I suggest you get down with some vegan Pot de Crème--if only for purely patriotic reasons. La Spelonca Vegetariana has a lovely looking raw recipe you could try.
- Hey vegetarians! Don't want cows to be killed but still want to eat your beloved cheese? Looks like you've got a dilemma! PETA has a handy infographic to help.
- In case you forgot, water scientists are back to remind you: you eat meat, everyone else starves. As the Guardian tells us, "animal protein-rich food consumes five to 10 times more water than a vegetarian diet." With water resources being scarce, lead water scientists say we need to significantly reduce our meat consumption if we are going to feed the growing population. OK, people are starving. But don't they know bacon tastes good?! What about that, Science?!
- Oh hi, beer-loving veggies! Oakland's Beer Revolution is opening an all-veg eatery next door. OMG have you ever heard of anything so perfect? According to my friends at Vegansaurus: "It's going to be called Old Depot Public House, they'll serve 'European food,' and it'll open sometime in the early fall." As a vegan European-American, I couldn't be more stoked!
- This crazy bird uses a bit of bread to catch a giant fish! What if the bird isn't fishing at all and she's just like, "I'm just feeding the fishies! Oh, you're filming? Look, this is my favorite fish! What? EAT HIM?! NO WAY HE'S MY FAVORITE!"
- After a recent heart attack, Rosie O'Donnell is the latest celebrity to adopt a plant-based diet. She announced her new diet to the Twitter world last week. Go on, girl!
- In light of a recent Compassion Over Killing undercover investigation, the feds temporarily shut down a California meat company. You can watch the story on ABC. It's disturbing. And they were totally selling downer cows to the public.
- This week in cute, that lovable Yao Ming has been hanging out with baby elephants! The b-ball star visited an elephant orphanage with WildAid. These poor babies have lost parents to the evil ivory trade. This baby ele pictured with Yao Ming is only two weeks old. He wears a blanket because his skin is too thin at this age to keep him warm. To see more pics and learn more, check Yao Ming's blog. This is my favorite picture though because I like to pretend Yao Ming is a regular-sized guy and that's the tiniest elephant in the world!
Photo by Kristian Schmidt for WildAid