Celebrate Bastille Day -- Dine on French Food
Le quatorze juillet is almost here! This Saturday celebrate the country that introduced us to Escargot, taught us how to kiss, and you know, helped our budding country fight for freedom from England.
• The Commonwealth Club will host Bay Gourmet on July 13, where authors adept in French culture and history will share stories of the country and its beloved City of Lights, while Yigit Pura doles out French treats. More information here.
• Grand Cafe's Bastille Day dinner (July 13 and 14) will come complete with Marie Antoinette, who will be handing out -- you guessed it -- cupcakes (along with glasses of wine). If you have spare beret or mustache lying around, wear it (Saturday only!) and be rewarded with a free glass of champagne.
• Over on the restaurant-lined Belden Place, home to Cafe Bastille among others, is the annual street fair. Once the city's predominant French Quarter, you can now expect the party crowd -- alongside your food and wine.
• Tablehopper also shares a few of Bastille Day finds: RN74 will host a party on Friday, complete with a one-dollar menu, while Cafe De La Presse, and Cafe Des Amis, will be serving classic French dishes on Saturday. Also, Bistro Unique will up the Parisian ambiance with a French singer and photos of Paris. If still craving more Bastille Day after the weekend, Jardiniere is hosting a three-course French dinner on Monday.
• Oh, and let's not forget the Presidio Social Club, the American-leaning restaurant, informed us they will introduce the recently banned foie gras to the menu starting on Bastille Day -- since they're exempt by residing on federal land. (Neener neener.) They'll also offer a prix fixe dinner on July 14 and 15, seatings both nights are at 5 p.m.
Joyeux Quatorze Juillet!