Buy a Date With Ian Somerhalder, Don't Buy Monkeys, and People Won't Date Vegans!
- Guys, don't buy monkeys. I know everybody wants to, we can't help it. I used to make up names for my future monkey and draw the awesome matching outfits we'd wear. But monkeys shouldn't be pets! Let's learn from Joey's story (btdubs, I think I love Stephen Fry, is that weird? Or is it like wanting a pet monkey and you just can't help it?):
- Are you totally over the Fourth of July? I'm not! So check out this frozen Fourth of July cake from Bitter Sweet Blog. The cake part is red velvet--isn't everyone obsessed with red velvet cake? Remember when it was tacky? How times have changed. I'm hoping slap bracelets come back next. I'll tell you what's never going out of style: ice cream cake. It's just the awesomest, right? If your parents got you an ice cream cake for your bday when you were little, that was love. Imagine if they made you this sexy number!:
- NFL-player Arian Foster has adopted a vegan diet! People are giving him crap about it because, you know, veganism is for sissies. Hey! I don't make the rules! JK, veganism is totally going macho. I guess NFL fans aren't hip to that yet.
- This is kind of early, but you know me! Always planning ahead! Plus, if I don't tell you now, I might forget. But this September, Animal Place in Grass Valley, CA is hosting their 2nd annual Music in the Meadow celebration! It sounds super cool. There's going to be live music, vendors, vegan food, a silent auction, and you can visit the animals on their 600 acre property! You get to meet pigs! OMG PIGS! There are still places for vendors and if you want to attend, you get some kind of swag bag if you pre-order tickets. There's not much in the world I love more than swag bags and pigs.
- Speaking of pigs, the sad eyes of a little piglet inspired one farmer in Taiwan to convert his pig farm into a pig sanctuary. Sometimes the animal news from that part of the world is less than happy, so I was glad to see this article in the Taipei Times. This farmer sounds like the best!
- The Washington Post has another interesting story from Taiwan. A young photographer has dedicated his time to documenting the last moments in the lives of shelter dogs destined for euthanasia in a Taiwan animal shelter. He says his goal is that "these images will arouse the viewers to contemplate and feel for these unfortunate lives, and understand the inhumanity we the society are putting them through." Intense.
- Apparently, 30% of omnivores in a new poll said they wouldn't date a vegan or vegetarian. Guess who doesn't care. But hey, veggies, would you date an omni? I think I would, but he'd have to be dead-sexy. And comfortable with my emotional wall.
- Alright, not to go all Tiger Beat on you but EEEEEK! To raise money for his animal shelter project, Ian Somerhalder is auctioning off a date for one lucky/nutty bidder! The bids are up to $6,750 as of this morning. Now HE is an omni I would date. I find him devastatingly handsome. I want to hit that more than I want to meet pigs or buy a monkey. So, can somebody loan me like ten grand? It's for a good cause!: Upgrading my sexual promiscuity.
You can follow Megan Rascal on Twitter at @MeganRascal. And you can follow SFoodie at @sfoodie, and like us on Facebook.