Classy Des Jardins and Butter-Bomb Desserts: This Week in Food Bloggery
|Jeffrey-Anthony/SF Weekly Flickr pool|
1. Peter Jamison talked to Iso Rabins about the Health Department's shut-down of the Underground Market, which may be permanent. But the market attracted New York Times coverage! And thousands of people! Uh...
2. Carina Ost interviewed Traci Des Jardins, who didn't win this season of Top Chef Masters, but earned $30K for La Cocina and showed herself a total pro from start to finish. Which, frankly, is just as good as winning the title.
3. Foodspotter Luis Chong finds Brussels-style waffles at Bloem 'n Sugar, a new Westfield Centre food-court stall, and reports on the appearance of Roamin' Cannoli, a temporary truck (yeah, it's a little meta) doing creative takes on a pastry that East Coasters constantly complain they can't find west of Ohio.
4. Did you want to know that the caramel Cinnabon you just ate at the Dallas airport had the equivalent of 0.55 sticks of butter? No, you did not. But really, you did. And the butter-stick measurement of the IHOP chicken-fried steak breakfast may have you wheezing.
5. The best thing I ate this week? Probably the tea-smoked duck at Five Happiness. Most of the brisket I've eaten in San Francisco can't match it for succulence and smoke.