Cupcakes for Choice, Drinks for Dogs, and Gumbo for Mardi Gras!
• Pissed about the House-approved federal funding cuts for Planned Parenthood? I am because it's total bullshit. In response, we're doing some culinary activism in the form of a delicious bake sale at this Sunday's Cupcakes for Choice! Come stuff your faces for women's rights! I'm gonna go straight Cathy on some chocolate cake. What? It's for the ladies and I love ladies!
• The Safari Club is in town this weekend and they are the fucking worst: A group of rich, trashy assholes going on trips to murder animals who are just trying to get by in their already encroached-upon natural habitats. I cannot believe that they claim to be a wildlife conservation group! That's like me saying I'm a cookie conservation group, and then eating all the cookies within a four-mile radius. Except even more insane for many reasons, including it's living, feeling beings they are destroying with their creepy bloodlust. Anyway, tell them to get fucked this Saturday in Foster City, the protest needs your help!
• Also on Saturday, there's a fundraiser happy hour for Northern California Family Dog Rescue at Doc's Clock! Is there anything better than dogs and drinks? If there is, it involves million-dollar bills raining on my face, and I ain't never seen that happen! What? I don't know, it's Friday.
• If you live in the Danville area, you're rich! Also, you're in for a treat, just like rich people often are. In fact, you're in for many sweet treats at the Harvest Home Sanctuary dessert party next Friday! If you want to meet other vegans, gorge yourself on much tastiness, and help a rad animal sanctuary, I'll see your sexy, compassionate ass there!
• This thing called Dishcrawl is planning an all-vegan eating tour of Berkeley. Upside: $26 buys you a four-dishes-at-four-different-restaurants binge. Downside: You don't know who else is going so it might be a bunch of scary larries. Or you could make some friends? Ever the optimist!
• A 72-year-old man in Kings County (that pit you drive through on the way to that other hell hole) died when he fell into a grinder at a meat processing plant. Super sad, and the next time you indulge in ground chuck, be aware that you're most likely eating human. Slaughterhouses and meat processing plants offer some of the most dangerous jobs in America. But, you know, MEAT WOO!
Gil Riego Jr. Gracias Madre chef Carmen Vazquez and her seriously awesome flan.
• Those pigs in Korea that are being buried alive? Oh, it's still happening. I could watch about two seconds of that before I threw up and slit my wrists. Except I didn't slit my wrists because then I wouldn't be here to harass you lovely people. SO SORRY.
• It's Mardi Gras! Show me your tits! No? Okay, well then make me some gumbo! No? FINE, I'LL DO IT MYSELF. I've got a recipe up for killer vegan gumbo that my boyfriend's (I've got one, believe it!) dad created. It's ridiculous, he's a genius. If you want to go a healthier route (screw you!), check out this recipe for lentil gumbo.
• CNN has a great piece up about the documentary Forks Over Knives taking its show on the road. It's all about how your diet is the best preventative medicine there is, and hey, maybe replace that double bacon cheeseburger with some beans and rice every once in awhile, and you maybe won't have to get a triple bypass. It features the dudes who influenced President Clinton to explore a plant-based diet and as I always say, if it's good enough for The Big Dog, it's good enough for you. Also, marry me, you big weirdo womanizing genius.
• Did you see that Gracias Madre's vegan flan made SFoodie's 92? That's because it's like whoa. Your only defense against its powers is to eat it. See, I am winning the war, and the size of my ass is the only casualty. Or other winner, depending on what you're into, visually/sexually.
• And finally, be sure to talk to your doctor about meat!