Russell's Super Nuggets, Meat-Mouth Conversions, and Rad Drinking!
• New mac 'n' cheese restaurant Homeroom is opening in Oakland the day after Valentine's Day. Who gives a shit, right? YOU DO! Because they are serving up a vegan mac and cheese! Let's take a minute for this to process: A macaroni and CHEESE restaurant is catering to vegans!? Oh, it's ON!
adria.richards/Flickr Dear Russell: We forgive you for the whole RushCard thing.
• Speaking of new vegan food, roaming vegan soup stand SF Relais debuted last weekend in the Mission with a vegan lamb stew. Reports from the front lines confirm that the stew was "very fucking tasty." Hooray! Follow their twitter for updates on where they'll pop up next, and let's eat delicious vegan soup or stew until you die!
• Russell Simmons had a vegan Super Bowl party that involved "chicken" nuggets! God, he's awesome. Also, WHY WAS I NOT INVITED? I make a mean vegan spinach dip, Simmons. I can also design clothing and be a classy slut so I'm just your type. Call me, let's talk. (Hat tip: Jesse! Thank you! Btw, if you have tips, e-mail me because I love you!)
• Mercy for Animals released the video Farm to Fridge, and it's probably the most powerful piece on factory farming I've ever watched. If there's any way you can get your meat-mouth friends and family to watch, DO IT. I mean, in a polite and respectful manner, when they are open to it. Remember, we were all meat mouths once and that shit is hard to let go of. Goddamn, I hate talking like this because it sounds like we're trying to convert people to lovin' the Lord via our crazy cult but NO, we are trying to open up their minds to rational compassion. We're not the crazy ones! They're the crazy ones! LE SIGH.
• Treehugger put up a slide show of 10 factory farms and it's really, really depressing. It's also well curated and interesting and everyone should see it. If you're having a hamburger for lunch, this is the perfect condiment, assholio.
• Surprise, surprise: Tyson is doctoring their books and bribing officials. Oh, I guess that's not so much a surprise as a, DUH FOOLS HOW DO YOU THINK WE MAKE MONEY ON OUR 50-PACKS OF NUGGETS FOR 99 CENTS?? I guess the surprise is that they got caught! This time! FUCKING FINALLY. What a good, wholesome company. I totally trust them.
• B.R. Myers has an excellent piece in The Atlantic about "foodies" and how creepy weird they are. He really tears Bourdain a new one and god knows that dude needs it for all the shit that's coming out of him. God, he is SO GROSS. How can anyone get behind that? I love that he's this completely privileged white man who has somehow aligned himself with all things down and dirty. No, dude. You are just another exploitative gross old white man. Deal with it. Tangent aside (I HATE THAT DUDE), definitely read this fantastic, hilarious piece.
• Two vegan cookbook authors are in town this weekend and doing their thing! First, Jenn Shagrin of Veganize This! will be at Cinnaholic at 3 p.m. on Feb. 11 (that's TODAY!). She's signing copies of her awesome book and eating cinnamon rolls with you and generally being rad. So, go! The second is Queen Vegan Bee Isa Chandra Moskowitz, cooking (FREE FOOD) and speaking at The Ferry Building tomorrow, Sat., Feb. 12, at 11:45 a.m. She is pretty much the best and her new book, Appetite for Reduction, is truly excellent, so do it up! Speaking of Isa, she posted a new recipe for Mac and Shews on the PPK, and it looks SO DAMN GOOD. If you make it for me, I will be sexual on you. You're gonna love it/never be able to see again.
• More weekend events! Let's plow through these bitches. Tonight is SF Vegan Happy Hour! It's at Hemlock on the second Friday of every month so mark it on your calendars. Meet rad vegans, drink awesome drink specials (vegan White Russians, I'll take a million!), and contribute to/dine from the potluck. It's a blast and highly recommended.
• Go see Lovers + Liberators! It's a benefit movie festival for the Red Vic at the Red Vic. Activist movies and free cinnamon rolls? What more could a San Franciscan hope for??
• If you're in Berkeley on actual V-Day, head to the Valentine's Day bake sale at U.C. Berkeley! It's a fundraiser for Harvest Home Sanctuary so go get chubs for the love of animals. It will help you find love, since everyone loves a fatty!
• Yo! I'm speaking about online vegan activism at SXSW! Wanna sponsor my hot ass? I will promote your business! Or you personally? I don't care! Your logo here! (I am pointing to my face). E-mail me, let's TALK.