January 2011 Openings and Closures
Remember when January was the sleepiest month, the month that Christmas sweater with leather elbow patches was still in limbo in its box by the front door, as you took weeks to decide whether you'd keep it? The month when you slowly got back up to speed at work, catching up with e-mails after a Friday *sick day* or two? Forget it ― January 2011 was a month that hustled.
John Birdsall See JapaCurry.
Lou Bustamante See Sushirrito.
• Former Luce chef Dominique Crenn, owner of the cheekbones that launched a thousand blog posts, threw open the doors to Atelier Crenn: 3127 Fillmore, at Pixley
• Sleek international Italian coffee slinger Caffe Pascucci opened near AT&T Park to, uh, mixed reviews: 170 King (at Third St.)
• Sushirrito ― the name says it all: 59 New Montgomery, (at Mission)
• The Brixton: Score one for this stylish homage to classic rock and drinking for lining up Midi alums Michelle Mah and Jon Hara: 2140 Union, at Webster
• A restaurant with a carny theme? Hayes Valley got one all its own, with the opening of Straw: 203 Octavia (at Page)
• An Austro-Italian homage, in a part of town that should appreciate schnitzel and strudel: Leopold's: 2400 Polk (at Union)
• Quattro Stagioni: 318 Kearny (at Bush)
• Wooly Pig Cafe: 205 Hugo (at Second Ave.)
• Tikka Masala: 1668 Haight (at Belvedere)
• Mr. Pickle's:1926 Lombard (at Buchanan)
• Special Request: Inside the 331 Cortland Market
• Smokey Joe: 300 Plymouth (at Broad)
• Country Cheese: 415 Divisadero (at Fell)
• Sundance Kitchen:1865 Post (at Webster)
• Mazu: 3809 Geary(at Second Ave.)
• In Oakland, Marzano and Garibaldi's merged, reborn as Hudson: 5356 College (at Manila)