Honoring Special Request, Slurping Cookie Puss, and Saving Kangaroos
• Four million animals and counting have been BURIED ALIVE in South Korea. It's the government's response to the outbreak of foot-and-mouth disease and avian flu in the pigs, cows, and chickens. It's unbelievable. This is all because they're too cheap and too lazy to pay for and administer the vaccines or to euthanize. Tap water in parts of rural South Korea is running red with blood from the animals who struggled to survive underground. It's horrific and we cannot turn a blind eye to this. This is truly, truly horrific news that I think everyone needs to hear about so if you click through on one thing that I've ever talked about, let it be this. Heartbreaking.
• There's a new vegan bakery in Bernal Heights! Special Request is operating out of Wholesome Bakery's old space (Wholesome is now selling out of La Victoria on 24th Street) at 331 Cortland. The menu looks terrific and I can't wait to eat everything. Bring it, Bernal!
vanessa m./Yelp Special Request's Neapolitan split.
Speaking of delicious baked goods, the SF Vegan Bakesale is TOMORROW! Bay Area Bites has a great post up with an interview with the organizers (I'm one of them! Hot!) and a recipe for cream-filled doughnut cupcakes. Believe.
• One last thing on the sweet tip because this looks UNSANE. It's a vegan version of the marvelous Cookie Puss ice cream cake! Carvel routinely offers tasty vegan ice cream concoctions but this one takes the cake! Literally! Hachacha. But really, when will one open here I NEED TO GET MY COOKIE PUSS ON! Gross!
• More on diseased animals that idiot humans consume: China is refusing to buy pork and eggs from Germany because of the high levels of dioxin in the dead animals. Dude, if China is refusing your "food," you are FUCKED. I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the price you pay for your $5 Meat Lover's pizza. Additionally: END OF DAYS.
• The Wall Street Journal reports on the sale of almond milk booming. Prettttty fresh! The rest of the world is getting in on the deliciousness that is almond milk. Naturally, the asshole cow dairy behemoth "farms" are all pissed because it means less money for them to roll around in at night. Boo fucking hoo, dickweeds.
bluediamond.com Sales of almond milk are surging!
• Some 17,500 chickens died in a fire at a factory farm in Delaware. Fantastic! Delaware is where you go to shop at tax-free Talbot's outlets and create cheap LLCs for every "business" your heart desires. It's not a place for animals to die en masse. Oh, but it is. Cruel life.
• The Humane Society of the United States issues report cards for politicians based on how well they're performing for the animals. It's really rad and helpful. So far the Obama administration is receiving a solid B for their work. See where they're kicking ass and where they need help over at HSUS.
• In news quickies, a fox shot a hunter (support your right to arm bears!), and this crazy Crocodile Dundee motherfucker is boating around rescuing kangaroos from the flood waters in Australia. Marry me.