Business Week Drools for Vegan Alpha Males, Souley Vegan Wakes and Bakes
• Business Week (fancy!) reports on "The Rise of the Power Vegans"! Love it, we all sound like superheroes. Although, apparently to be vegan, you must be a rich, powerful manly man. Well, that's this week. Next week, it'll be back to the fact that we're all dirty hippies with no taste who enjoy deprivation and not showering. The only thing there that's true about me is that I enjoy not showering. It just takes so long and I've got things to DO, people!
• The New York Times reveals that the USDA uses our tax dollars to sell triple-cheese cheesy pizzas. USA! USA! USA! Jonathan Kauffman asks the big questions in a piece I like to call "Where is Your Government, Now?" He's right on about lack of oversight, so that's why I choose to vote with my dollars and not give any of these dillweeds my dolla dolla bills. Yes, I am telling you not to pay your taxes. WHO SAID THAT!?
ex_magician/Flickr Souley Vegan: Oakland's new Sunday best.
• Over at Vegansaurus, top vegan chefs, cookbook authors, and bloggers have taken on the challenge of veganizing each of the winning dishes from Bravo's Top Chef: Just Desserts! Despite the amount of meat, cheese, and dairy on reality cooking shows, vegans freaking love them. Maybe it's because we like being sad? Or because we love a challenge and nothing is so satisfying as veganizing a dessert and feeding it to an omni and them having no clue it's vegan and being all, "Ooooh, it's so delicious!" and then you go, "BAM! It's vegan!" and they're all, "Oh ... well, it's gross."
• My favorite fatty (in the "Male, Under 40" category) is Jorge Garcia, and that became even truer when I learned he recently went veg! I know people were all up in arms when he didn't lose any weight on The Island but the thing is, some of us have a glandular disorder, OKAY!? Jorge, if you ever want to hit up Millennium with a lady who can eat, holler at your girl!
• Texas issues a cheeseburger license plate. Fabulous, put that on your SUV so you can drive two blocks to your nearest Steak 'n Shake! Also, I'm totally going to pretend that it's a vegan burger and cheese on that plate because lord only knows, if I could, I'd eat the hell out of a veganized Steak 'n Shake buffet! Color me jealous.
• Someone put up a hidden camera in an Israeli chicken factory farm and is live-streaming the footage, 24-hours a day. That shit is mad depressing. In other super sad-making news this week, an Ohio farm recalled over half a million eggs because they're "potentially contaminated." All of these egg recalls lately make me so happy I'm not accidentally ingesting a salmonella scramble. Ye gads. And in the OMG I'm Going To Slit America's Wrists category, the owner of a Pennsylvania pig farm completely abandoned his pigs and left them all to die of starvation. No word on criminal charges yet but you know, they're just animals. Animals that are smarter than your dog, but you know, on the other side there's: NO WAY IN HELL ARE YOU'RE TAKING AWAY MY GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO EAT BACON!!
Humane Society of the United States/Flickr Rescue chickens at Harvest Home Sanctuary in Stockton. Okay these aren't turkeys, but they're just as cuddly.
• Speaking of bacon, the Los Angeles Vegan Beer Fest was an outrageous success. Food options included vegan hot dogs with all the fixings, jalapeño poppers, sushi, and vegan chocolate-covered bacon! Do want! Fifty pieces! When I die, bury me under a pile of it so that I may eat my way out and then come haunt all your asses.
• This weekend, you have to hit up The Bold Italic's Paws n' Play pet fair and bingo night to benefit Rocket Dog Rescue. There will be tons of delicious vegan grub from Ike's Place, Fat Bottom Bakery, Sugar Beat Sweets, and Eat Pastry Vegan Cookie Dough. Plus, dozens of great vendors, beer, wine, a raffle, music, and later in the evening, BINGO! Prizes look insane, including a signed S.F. Giants cap from MVP Édgar Rentería and plane tickets anywhere in the United States. All the money goes to help homeless dogs so come, eat, play, WIN! I think that's Las Vegas's slogan but whatever, they owe me.
• When you wake up on Sunday morning, hung over from an evening of boozin' and bingo, head to Souley Vegan in Oakland, aka Best Restaurant Of All Time Ever, for their brand-new vegan brunch! I don't know if you know what this means but I'll tell you: VEGAN BISCUITS AND GRAVY. Do you have ANY idea how long Bay Area vegans have waited for this? A long-ass time. Get your brunch on (yes, I did!) every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., 301 Broadway (at Third St.), Oakland, 510-922-1615.
• Finally, if you feel like getting out of town this weekend and want some early Thanksgiving food, head to Harvest Home Sanctuary Toast for the Turkeys in Stockton. It's only $25 and you get an awesome vegan meal, a tour of the sanctuary, and the opportunity to cuddle with rescued farm animals. Seriously, you haven't lived until you've seen a turkey eat a cranberry. I die.