Saturday: Left Coast Libations Release Party at Heaven's Dog
Heaven's Dog is hosting a book release party Saturday for the newly released West-Coast-centric cocktail book, Left Coast Libations. A collaboration by Ted Munat, barman Michael Lazar, and S.F. photographer Jenn Farrington, the book collects profiles and recipes from 50 of the greatest bartenders from Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver.
Great recipes and photography aside, the best part of the book is Munat's profiles on the bartenders, with tongue-in-cheek tales of their journeys behind the bar. It's a book you actually want to read, rather than one to browse or reference for recipes.
Dear reader, this book is for you. We made it just for you. Never mind what I wrote in the acknowledgements about it being for the bartenders. I was just sucking up. And the bartenders by now, having ensured that their asses have been properly kissed, have long skipped ahead to find their own profile pages and bask in their own awesomeness. So we're free to speak openly now.San Francisco represents heavily ― over a third of the book is devoted to our barmen and -women, from old-school heavyweights to new-school favorites. "You can put more Bay Area bartenders in your bartender book than from any other area and still leave out dozens of deserving ones," Munat says. "The Bay Area is actually annoying like that."
The evening at Heaven's Dog will feature cocktails from the book, special guest appearances, and both the authors and photographer on hand to sign copies. Green Apple will be in the house to hawk copies.
Selected cocktail offerings:
• Ueno San (Andrew Boher, Seattle): Bourbon, sweet vermouth, Lillet Blanc, peach bitters
• Saffron Sandalwood Sour (Anu Apte, Seattle): Gin, lemon, lime, saffron sharbat, egg white, bitters, grated sandalwood (yep, sandalwood!)
• Filibuster (Erik Adkins, San Francisco): Rye, lemon, maple syrup, egg white, bitters
• Old Bill (Neyah White, San Francisco): Sherry, maraschino, rum, bitters
• Passage to India (David Wolowindnyk, Vancouver): Rum, mango liqueur, lemon, curry, jalapeño, cilantro
Left Coast Libations Book Release Party
When: Sat., Sept. 18, 9 p.m.-1 a.m.
Where: Heaven's Dog, 1148 Mission (at Seventh Street)