Hooker's, Hogs, and Hapa: The Week in Openings and Closings
This week's openings spanned salty and sweet, with mixed pork-and-chicken broth from yesterday's Hapa Ramen market debut to David "Hooker" Williams' sweet shop in the ever-morphing Tendernob nabe. Mid-Peninsula lunch drones may be cheering over the arrival of a new weekday road-food sandwich truck from the Niebergall bros, and Rockridge gets up close and personal with pig faces and other meaty bits at the new Marin Sun Farms' retail shop.
Jesse Friedman/Beer & Nosh Richie Nakano at Hapa Ramen's Ferry Plaza debut.
Opened this week:
• Café Maria, owned by Carlo and Michael Nuovo of North Beach, in the site of the former Mangarosa, 699 22nd St. (at Third St.) (via Leah Garchik).
• EAT Restaurant launched its menu of California tapas in the Ambassador this week. 673 Geary at Leavenworth) (You can also occasionally grub the EAT eats at 111 Minna).
• Hapa Ramen: John Birdsall reported on Richie Nakano's four-day broth and handmade noodles at the Ferry Plaza Thursday Market, 1 Ferry Building (at Embarcadero), North Arcade.
• Hooker's Sweet Treats: Tendernob sweets shop-café opened by David "Hooker" Williams; offers Hooker's dangerously addictive smoked-sea-salt caramels, Sightglass coffee, and New Orleans-style bread pudding, 442 Hyde (at O'Farrell).
• Marin Sun Farms' retail shop went into the former Enzo's space at Rockridge Market Hall, 5655 College (at Shafter), Oakland, (510) 250-6000; John Birdsall reported on the shop's meat cases brimming with locally sourced meats, eggs, and pastured chickens.
• The Southern Sandwich Co. ― mobile locations in Redwood City, check Twitter for details; serving Mon.-Fri. 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Brothers Brett and Nathan Niebergall converted a taco truck into "road food" of West Texas and the Carolinas.
Closed (for now, anyway):
• RNM, 598 Haight (at Steiner) is closed for renovations ― that's the official story. Inside Scoop called the closure "indefinite."
• Samovar Tea Lounge Castro: due to a serious car crash, the 498 Sanchez (at 18th St.) location of the mellow tea merchant is closed till further notice (