Mission Street Food Plans Pork-Heavy Dinner for Vegetarian Charity
|Becker Lane pork stars in dinner to benefit Food Not Bombs.|
But not everyone is fine with the swine going to benefit a charity that serves only vegetarian food at its functions. Vegansaurus, still smarting from the demise of the vegan burger at MSF offshoot Mission Burger, says, "it seems like [on] a night where the proceeds are going to a veg organization, there could be some love for those who abstain from the pig carcass." Actually, the menu contains two vegetarian offerings (not including dessert) as well as its staple vegan dish of shiitake and oyster mushroom dumplings in miso soup.
Undaunted, the post goes on to criticize MSF for donating a smaller amount of money to charity each week than did the last SF Vegan Bakesale, which commendably raised over $2,600 in just three hours and hopes to top that number this Saturday. But that doesn't take into account that all the goods and labor are presumably donated at the Bakesale, while the people who operate and work for MSF each week do still have to draw a living wage.
Can't we all just get along? Thursday's service starts at 6 p.m. at Lung Shan (2234 Mission at 18th St.). Peruse that night's menu after the jump.
• Shaved persimmons and pears with fennel, celery root, Meyer lemon, pistachio, chervil, and bacon vinaigrette
• Monterey calamari with heirloom baby born, pickled kale, brussels sprouts, chicory, spiced cashews, citrus vinaigrette
• Becker Lane pork ribs with stewed nettles, cauliflower, mushrooms, cornbread
• Root vegetable risotto with winter herbs, organic Parmesan Reggiano
• PB & J: Crispy Berkshire Kurobuta pork belly with marinated jicama, cilantro aioli and pickled jalapenos
• Beef and green onion soup with maitake, braised daikon, bok choy
*Sesame-avocado brown rice with beech mushroom, grilled treviso
*Lung Shan's Vegan Delight: Shiitake and oyster mushroom dumplings in miso soup
• Hachiya persimmon gooey cake with vanilla, pomegranate, almonds, cardamom creme fraiche
• Green tea panna cotta with shaved apple, Valrhona chocolate sauce