Another 24 Hours: Craigslist Farm and Garden Classifieds
• Five little ducks went out one day, over the hill and far away. Mother Duck said, "Quack, quack, quack, quack," but only four little ducks came back. Why? Because you bought one for $5.
• If you regularly cook for squash-phobic youngsters (or oldsters), now's your chance to seriously terrify them. Go to Petaluma (is there anything up there besides farms and Tom Waits?) and buy acorn squashes for 50 cents each, banana squashes for $3 each, and pumpkins for $4 apiece. The vendor says they'll "go fast."
• There is a goat in Point Arena, Mendocino County, and you can have her for free. Yes, that's right. She's a 4-year-old Nubian milking doe. She gives about a liter of milk each day. She's apparently "very friendly ... and beautiful."
• If old Hades had tried to trick Persephone with a mealy Safeway apple, she'd have had no trouble fasting during her initial visit to his shadowy realm. Pomegranate seeds, of course, proved too tempting, and thanks to her waffling willpower, we have winter. Right now, large, locally grown pomegranates are 10 for $10 somewhere in Santa Cruz County. Make the call.
• Hay Area! Forget paper; take your scraper to Petaluma and load up on oat hay by the 125-pound bale.