Costco Moment: Crown Prince Anchovies
The lazy cook's alternative is filleted anchovies packed in olive oil. The best price around for good quality is at Costco (450 10th St.), which sells a six-pack of Crown Prince for $5.89. These are caught wild off the coast of Morocco, cured in salt, then cleaned and packed by hand in olive oil.
Here's a recipe for people who really love that anchovy flavor:
Spicy Broccoli or Cauliflower Sauce
One and a half to two pounds broccoli or cauliflower
1 can anchovies in olive oil
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 head garlic
hot pepper flakes
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup tart white wine
- Wash the broccoli or cauliflower, trim stems, cut into fairly uniform pieces, and steam until soft.
- Crack the can and drain the oil into a pot large enough to hold all ingredients comfortably.
- Add olive oil to pot.
- Chop the anchovies and add to pot.
- Peel garlic, mince or press, and add to pot.
- Add hot pepper flakes to taste.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the garlic just starts to brown.
- Add wine and reduce until the consistency of a sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add broccoli or cauliflower and mash with a potato masher until you have a not-too-chunky sauce.
- Correct salt if necessary.