Marionette Fellatio and a Fire-Eating Balloon Elvis -- This is Circus Finelli's Puppet Peepshow
|Blinky Winky (assisted by Luz Gaxiola) is the city's newest mayoral candidate.|
A good opening act, by contrast, is a sign that a show is surefooted; that it knows the difference between good entertainment and bad, and won't waste your time with something half-assed. The better an opening act a show is able and willing to put in front of you, the better the show itself is likely to be.
And if a company can take the next step, making your entrance into the theater part of the show, turning taking your seat into a joy rather than a formality ... that's about as good a sign as you can get. It means the hands you're about to place yourself in can juggle seven pins while picking your pocket. And Circus Finelli's Puppet Peepshow nails it.
|Elvis Presley is said to have died on the commode; Elvis the Balloon Man died from swinging a machete.|
It's all strange, low-tech, and sometimes not even very good per see ... but by the time the show starts you've already had enough fun to justify the ticket price.
That's Circus Finelli in a nutshell, and Puppet Peepshow can best be described as a cheap high school talent contest produced by Joss Whedon after not sleeping for 48 hours because he'd been abducted by gypsies.
|Luz and Blinky Winky share a quiet moment.|
Blinky Winky is joined by Circus Finelli recurring characters Luz (Luz Gaxiola), Mustard (Mahsa Matin), and Carmelita (Molly Shannon), who in turn showcase a variety of mostly puppet-based, well, variety acts:
• Andrea Noel creates "Elvis the balloon man" right in front of your eyes (yes, out of balloons) and has him perform death defying tricks like sword swallowing and fire eating. This goes about as badly as you can imagine, and I could watch it all night.
• Audrey Spinazola sings a ukulele duet with a puppet kitten. Yes, it's adorable - damn you for making me say it.
• Paulie Anne Duke, who is the ... um ... brains behind what may be the world's first drunk, masturbating, puppet. Who also sings.
• Musician Jesse Roadkill whose song incorporates a bloody shadow puppet sequence
• The New Eccentrics (Jasper Patterson and Sarah Al-Kassab) who perform what they say is the world's first pop-up musical.
|Feelin' right at home.|
The moment of the night, however, has to go to Blinky Winky when he told a sexy female hand puppet (who later fellated him): "I'm going to make you my campaign manager's wife!"
Later, outside the theater, that's what people were talking about.
Circus Finelli is producing one more showing of Puppet Peepshow tonight at 8 p.m., at Stage Werx Theatre. Admission is $15.